Creating safe environments for children and families
Creating child safe organisations is a key part of the Victorian Government’s response to the report of the Parliamentary Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and other Non-Government Organisations (Betrayal of Trust Inquiry).
This work aims to strengthen organisations’ approaches to preventing and responding to child abuse.
We at Real Life Choices Disability Support Services (RLC) are committed to being a Child Safe Organisation and strive to identify, reduce or remove the risks of child abuse
We do this through:
- Effective leadership
- Rigorous staff recruitment and robust human resources practices
- Involving children and young people in program review and development
- Cultural safety strategies that meet the needs of Aboriginal children and children from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities
- Practice strategies to minimise risk
Appointment of a Professional Standards and Child Safety Officer to resource and support programs in this area.
To learn more, read our Child Safe policy and our Working with Children Young People and Families policy.
You can also read our Statement of Commitment to Safeguarding of Children, which is part of the Safeguarding Children Program of RLC
Responding to allegations and disclosures of criminal abuse
We welcome the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and The Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse.
We recognise the importance of a transparent, confidential, just and timely response to disclosure of criminal abuse, including sexual abuse.
We acknowledge our moral and legal obligation to report to the Police criminal abuse (disclosed or suspected), including sexual abuse by staff, volunteers or contractors.
If you wish to bring a complaint of abuse against any member of staff – present or past – of RLC, you may do so in any of the following ways:
- If you believe a crime has been committed, you can contact the police (dial 000)
- Contact Michael Matsatsa, Real Life Choices Director or our Compliance Officer, on (03) 9001 6928. Read our policy for Responding appropriately to suspected and disclosed sexual and other criminal abuse.
- Contact the Office of Towards Healing
- Victoria – 1800 816 830
- New South Wales – 1300 369 977
- Northern Territory – 0418 736 890
Further information on RLC’s policies for safeguarding children can be found at:
Real Life Choices website or contact your area manager
Policy for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.